Always Consult A Solicitor For Legal Advice

Claim for Accident with a Foreign Car While in Ireland

Is it possible to claim for accident with a foreign car while in Ireland?

It is possible to claim for accident with a foreign car while in Ireland; provided that the accident was caused due to the negligence of a third party and that you sustained injuries that required medical treatment. However, the process of claiming compensation for an accident in Ireland involving a foreign car differs slightly from submitting a “regular” claim for a road traffic accident to the Injuries Board Ireland.

Claims in Ireland for accidents which involve uninsured, untraced or foreign cars can be made via the Motor Insurers’ Bureau Ireland (MIBI) an entity established by the Government in conjunction with insurance companies operating in Ireland. A “green card system” exists in Ireland which enables Irish citizens who suffer loss or are injured in accidents caused by foreign cars to receive compensation for the damage done.

It would be helpful to have gathered as much information as possible on the accident and all parties involved in the accident with the foreign-registered car, as these details should be relayed on the MIBI claim notification form which can be downloaded and submitted by post, or completed online. A copy of the Garda report and copies of any medical notes from the medical practitioner who treated your injury must be sent with your form and you will be sent a claims receipt once the MIBI have received your claim for accident with foreign car while in Ireland.

It is worth noting that there is no section on the MIBI claims form to communicate how the accident and injury has affected you financially or the effect it has had on your quality of life. Additionally, foreign car accident claims assessed by the MIBI will likely be settled for the minimum amount possible. Because of this, you would be advised to submit a simultaneous application for assessment to the Injuries Board Ireland, where you may include details of your “loss of amenity” and any financial expenses you have incurred that relate to your injury and you will receive an independent assessment of your claim.

It is important that the application for assessment is completed without any omissions or errors which could inadvertently lead to a reduction of your compensation for a foreign car crash. Therefore, you would be well advised to consult an experienced personal injury claims solicitor who can assist with the completion of the forms to both the MIBI and Injuries Board, and would be able to gauge how much compensation you should be eligible for.

Compensation for foreign car accident claims should not only account for the pain and suffering experienced at the time of the accident, but also for any financial implications and the negative effect the injury has had on the victim’s life. Your solicitor will be able to evaluate your claim for accident with a foreign car while in Ireland in an initial consultation – which most solicitors offer for free – and could ensure that you receive your maximum entitlement in the quickest possible time.

Our 100% Guarantee to you:
  • Speak to a specialist injury claim solicitor
  • No pressure
  • Impartial and practical advice provided
  • Helpful and courteous at all times
  • No legal jargon